Are you worried about how uneven your skin tone looks?
Do you need to use a lot of foundation and concealer to cover up before important events and photo ops?
If you answered YES to either of the questions above you might want to check out our recipes below.
First though, let's look at why blotchiness happens ....
Melanacyte (one type of skin cell) produces melanin (natural pigment) to protect itself from sun damage. Melanin is usually the same colour as the skin however, when there is prolonged exposure to the sun the melanocytes work overtime and produce excess melanin, thus producing dark spots.
Other conditions that can lead to blotchy skin are; a hereditary disposition, some skin conditions and infections, extreme weather conditions, environmental irritants such as allergens,hormonal changes such as during pregnancy and stress.
If you are struggling with an uneven skin tone check out the following 7 recipes that you can make at home to combat blotchy skin ...
1) Aloe Vera Gel Mask
Ingredient - aloe vera
1) open an aloe vera leaf and apply directly to your skin (you can use a cotton ball if you like)
2) leave on for about 30-40 minutes, for best results you can leave on all night
3) rinse off
Use daily for a couple of months.
Aloe vera soothes the surface of the skin and is also absorbed into the skin to heal from within. You can use bought aloe vera gel, just check that it doesn't contain fragrances or other additives that could irritate the skin.
2) Baking Soda Mask
Ingredients - 2T baking soda, water
1) put a couple of teaspoons of baking soda in a bowl and add some water, mix to a spreadable paste
2) wash the problem area and pat dry
3) apply paste over blotchy skin and gently massage with your fingers
4) leave for 5-10 minutes, then rinse off with water and pat dry with a towel
5) use a light moisturiser on your face (our Raven Beauties' Coco Butter Moisturiser would be perfect as it will nourish your skin)
Use 2 - 3 times a week for a month.
The baking soda will remove the dead skin exposing your new skin underneath. It soothes inflamed skin and can work wonders on red patches however, it may not be suitable for dry or sensitive skin.
3) Green Tea Mask
Ingredients - green tea teabag, 2T rice flour, water
1) place the green tea teabag in 1 cup of hot water, steep for 5 - 10 minutes
2) put rice flour in a small bowl, add the green tea and mix it to a spreadable paste
3) allow paste to cool before applying
4) apply mask over blotchy skin, leave for 15 minutes
5) rinse off with warm water
Use 3 times per week for 6-8 weeks
Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties and will reduce swelling and ease any pain. Rice flour helps mix the green tea to a paste and also boosts skin lightening properties. Rice flour has been used for hundreds of years as by women in Asia to help keep their skin smooth, evenly tones and free from pigmentation.
4) Lemon,Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub
Ingredients - 1t coconut oil, 1T sugar, 1/2 t lemon juice
1) Mix all the ingredients together
2) Apply mask to face, scrub gently, avoiding the eye area
3) Wash with lukewarm water
4) Pat dry
Use once a week for 5-6 weeks
Lemon has astringent properties and is well know for its ability to diminish dark spots and blemishes. Sugar will exfoliate the dead skin cells and coconut oil will provide the skin with moisture.
5) Lemon, Maple, Nutmeg and Cinnamon Mask
Ingredients - 1/2 t lemon juice, 1 T pure maple syrup, 1/2 t nutmeg powder, 1/2 t cinnamon powder
1) Mix all the ingredients together
2) Massage on your face and leave for 20-30 minutes
3) Remove the mask by massaging with your fingers in a circular motion
Use once or twice a week for a month
Lemon, as mentioned above, has astringent properties and diminishes dark spots and blemishes. Just like honey, maple syrup has antioxidant properties and fights inflammation and redness. Nutmeg is know to have curative properties that can heal scars caused by everything including sunspots and acne. Last but not least cinnamon. Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to repair any skin damage. You can read more about the benefits of cinnamon in our blog: Cinnamon: An ancient spice with modern day health and beauty benefits
6) Cucumber and Lemon Juice Mask
Ingredients - 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 the juice of one lemon
1) grate the cucumber, place in the fridge for one hour
2) add the juice of half a lemon to the cucumber pulp and apply to face
3) leave for 15 minutes
4) wet some cotton pads and wipe face clean
Use 3 - 3 times a week
This is an extremely cooling and hydrating way to reduce blemishes and even out skin tone. The lemon juice and cucumber not only brighten your complexion but also shrink pores and reduces inflammation, calming the skin.
7) Ice-cube Skin Calm
This is an easy one, perfect for in summer, just suck on a cube of ice.
The nerve endings in your mouth are in control of the blood vessels in the face. By pressing ice hard against your palate the coldness will tell the blood vessels to constrict. When blood vessels constrict less blood will flow to the face and your face will lose its redness.
Let us know which recipe you tried and how it went.