Do you want to strengthen your immune system, improve your gut health or reduce your wrinkles?
While the idea of eating a lemon probably isn't that appealing, thankfully just a squeeze or two of lemon juice in your water or tea can have huge benefits for your health ...
1) Lemon juice is packed with Vitamin C and potassium which help boost the immune system and ward off infections.
2) The acid in lemon helps to break down your food more efficiently, ensuring you get maximum nutrient benefits. It also prevents sugar spikes by slowing down the absorption rate.
3) Lemon juice can keep your digestive system in peak condition by relieving the painful symptoms of indigestion and reducing the amount of excess gas in your gut, lessening the risk of bloating or burping.
4) Lemon juice in water can freshen up your breath. The acid in the lemon juice will kill off any bacteria, leaving your mouth smelling fresh.
5) Lemon water is great at fighting inflammation. Being packed with Vitamin C it helps your body produce collagen. Collagen is a protein that repairs every part of your body, including reducing the signs of aging by improving the skin's elasticity. The more Vitamin C you have the more equipped your body is to repair damage. Lemon also contains antioxidants which are powerful anti-inflammatory agents. These agents help to reduce inflammation and enable the body to self-repair.
6) Drinking lemon water can help keep your urinary tract in good health. Lemon has a mild diuretic effect, meaning that it increases the rate of urination which helps to quickly cleanse the body. Thus reducing water retention and bloating and their related health risks.
7) Whilst drinking lemon water will not help you lose weight it does have some benefits that can make weight loss easier:
- A glass of lemon water has less than 10 calories, making it a flavourful drink with much lower calories than most alternatives.
- Pectin found in lemon can help to suppress appetite. The amount produced in lemons though is minimal, so it is more likely to slow your hunger than deplete it completely
- Drinking water has many benefits when losing weight such as boosting metabolism, giving you a fuller feeling, etc. Drinking lemon water is a way to make drinking six-plus glasses of water a bit more interesting.
How do I make lemon water?
Squeeze half a lemon into either warm or cold water. Another option is to add the lemon juice to a cup of black or green tea.
When is the most beneficial time to drink lemon water?
The best time of day is first thing in the morning, to help set your body up for the day. But really any time is a good time, especially if it is helping you to increase your water intake.
How much lemon water should I drink in a day?
As one lemon contains about 44 milligrams of Vitamin C, which is half the daily recommended amount, the juice of two lemons should be the maximum amount you drink in a day.
Try kickstarting a healthier you in 2020 by drinking lemon water each day for a couple of weeks. Let us know the positive effects it has on the health of your body and skin in the comments below.