One of our most favourite plants is lavender. Not only does it look majestic and smell divine but it also has so many uses and benefits. Lavender is well know for its ability to soothe the body and mind. It is often used to reduce anxiety and stress as it is a natural antidepressant.
- eases headaches: just massage some lavender essential oil on to your temples, forehead and neck, behind your ears.
- relieves nausea: inhaling the scent has been found to alleviate motion sickness and nausea.
- clears congestion: add 4-6 drops of lavender essential oil to a bowl or jar of hot water and inhale the vapour for several minutes. The vapour will help to open up your airways and clear the congestion.
- improve sleep: add a few drops of lavender essential oil and some water to a diffuser near your bed for a good night's sleep.
- heal minor wounds: add a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to a tablespoon of water to help stimulate cell regeneration and help wounds heal quicker.
- improve recall: A scientific study found that nursing students who had a sniff of lavender the night before a test scored much higher than there peers. They retained more information, concentrated better and were less anxious.
Uses around the house:
1) Mix 8 drops of lavender essential oil with 1/2 cup of baking soda.
2) Sprinkle over carpet.
3) Leave for a few minutes and then vacuum.
1) Fill a 40ml bottle one third full with vodka.
2) Add 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil and the same amount of either peppermint or tea tree essential oil
3) Fill up the rest of the bottle with aloe vera gel.
4) Shake and use.
* To freshen laundry you can add 4 drops of lavender essential oil to your iron for a steamy scent.
* For fresh smelling washing you can add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your washing machine.
* To make a fragrant dryer sheet you can put a few drops of lavender essential oil onto a dry cloth and then put it in the dryer with the wet laundry.
Pet Stain Deodoriser
To remove the offensive smell of pet stains just mix a few drops of lavender essential oil with a handful of baking soda. Leave it on the spot for half an hour and then vacuum it up.
Lavender essential oil will not only give off a nice scent it will also help keep the moths at bay. Just add a few drops of lavender essential oil on to a cotton ball and place it near where your you store your clothes.
To hydrate chapped lips naturally you can;
Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil then add a drop of lavender essential oil. Place in a small, clean, dark container. Mix and allow to cool.
The antimicrobial and antibacterial properties of lavender essential oil can help treat acne flare ups and keep it at bay.
To make a toner to treat acne you can mix 2 drops of lavender essential oil with 1 teaspoon of witch hazel. Then soak a cotton ball in this mix and gently rub on your face. Use the toner twice a week.
Research has found the lavender essential oil may slow the loss of hair due to alopeica areata. It can also diminish dandruff and other scalp imbalances.
To prevent hair loss and dandruff build up; mix ten drops of lavender essential oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or melted coconut oil. Heat it till warm and then massage into your scalp. Rinse out and shampoo as usual. Complete procedure twice a week.
Lavender essential oil is beneficial for wound care as it promotes the healing of skin tissue.
To heal a wound mix 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil with a few drops of coconut oil. Apply the mixture to the wound with a cotton ball or bud. If the wound has healed this mixture can also be used to reduce the remaining scar as well.
Lavender Hot Chocolate Recipe
Finally, we will leave you with a recipe for Lavender Hot Chocolate. The concept of drinking lavender flavoured hot chocolate may seem a little strange, but do give it a go, chances are you might end up being a convert. If you like the scent of lavender the chances are pretty high that you will like the taste.