Need rid of blackheads now?
Here are some easy vegan-friendly methods using ingredients from around the house that have had proven success.
What causes blackheads?
Blackheads happen because your pores are blocked with oil and dead skin. The black colour is not dirt but the oil and dead skin which has been oxidised by exposure to air.
Everyone gets blackheads and as everyones' skin is different you need to find a method that works for you and your skin.
Lemon and Sugar Scrub
To make this scrub:
1) cut a lemon in half
2) sprinkle two pinches of sugar on top
3) gently massage the problem area.
Lemon and sugar are the perfect combination to get rid of blackheads. In this recipe the sugar is used as an exfoliant as it will clean off the hard tops of the blackheads so the pores can expel their contents. It is also a natural source of an Alpha Hydroxy Acid called glycolic acid which breaks down old dead skin pores and encourages cell repair.
Lemon is full of Vitamin C and Zinc which are natural skin healers and it is also a natural skin astringent and will remove dead skin cells.
Cinnamon and Oat-flour Scrub
To make this scrub:
1) mix equal amounts oat-flour and cinnamon powder
2) add warm water and stir well - mixture should be the consistence of thick cream
3) apply mix, with fingertips, in a circular motion for about one minute
4) wash face thoroughly
(Please note that the cinnamon might cause a tingling sensation which will disappear when rinsed).
This scrub should be used twice a week for best results.
Ground cinnamon provides a microdermabrasion effect by sloughing off the top layer of the dirt formed by the sebum (oily discharge on our skin) and dead skin pores which makes up a blackhead. It also has antioxidant properties which protect skin from harmful substances in the environment. Oatmeal (which is slightly finer than oat-flour) soaks up the excess oil on the skin and contains compounds called saponins which are natural cleaners and will remove oil and dirt. Oatmeal also contains zinc which reduces inflammation and kills acne-causing bacteria.
Maple and Olive Oil Scrub
To make this scrub:
1) combine 1/4 cup of white sugar with 1/4 cup of brown sugar and mix
2) add 1/4 cup of olive oil and stir
3) add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and 1/2 vanilla essence
4) stir until smooth
5) apply scrub with fingertips, in a circular motion, to problem areas
6) rinse off with warm water
Store in an airtight jar at room temperature. Use weekly for best results.
This scrub works well as the sugar (as mentioned earlier) works as an exfoliant, cleaning off the heads of the blackheads and also breaks down old skin pores whilst encouraging skin repair. The olive oil in this scrub contains antioxidants which go down into the pores to remove dead skin cells and dirt. It also removes excessive oil on the face to help eliminate the chance of further blackhead break outs. Maple syrup and vanilla essence also contain antioxidants which will help calm the inflammation that occurs with acne.
Tea Tree Mask
To make this mask:
1) mix 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
2) Mix in some cool water, adding 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture is at a good mask consistency
3) Rub gently on to face
4) Leave for 10-15 minutes while it hardens
5) Rinse mask off with lukewarm water
Apply mask once a week for best results.
The baking soda in this recipe will dig into the pores and remove bacteria and oil build up in the blackheads. It can be a bit drying though so the added coconut oil will help to keep your skin hydrated as well as give the mixture a smooth texture. Tea tree oil has amazing acne and bacteria fighting properties giving this mask an extra punch.
To make this pore strip:
1) mix 1 tablespoon of almond milk with 1 tablespoon of agar
2) microwave for 10-20 seconds
3) use a clean makeup brush to apply to the affected area
4) allow mixture to dry completely
5) peel the mask off your face
6) rinse your face with water
This mask will pull the blackheads from the affected area.The almond milk helps to cleanse and rejuvenate the skin whilst the agar thickens the mixture and also helps to maintain moisture. This pore strip is not as sensitive skin friendly as the others and might be too harsh for some skin.
To prevent blackheads reoccurring you should consider -
- changing your pillowcase frequently
- using a good exfoliating scrub (either our Raven Beauties Activated Charcoal Scrub or Espresso Scrub Soap Bar would be perfect for this)
- cleaning your nails regularly
- washing your face twice a day
- keeping your hair clean
- touching your face as little as possible
What works well for you?
Let us know below ....